Rudy

Rudy
My Homemade Mother's Day Gift

Saturday, May 28, 2011

So here’s the thing… We have plenty of leftover chocolates but we keep getting sick when we eat them so it’s probably not a good idea to keep them but how can anyone throw chocolates away?

I do try and share the precious delicacies when I have enough of them available but there are many times when there just isn’t enough for everyone so I save them for another time. 

I suppose its not wise to continue buying those rich russet candies but when I see a particularly lovely confection filled with some delectable creamy fondant or nougat or brimming with a gooey caramel center or a crunchy toffee or buttery nut encased in velvety rich chocolate, I’m gripped by an insatiable desire to procure the luxuriant sweet-treat and bring it back to my house.

As I carry  in the bags of groceries, my husband arrives to help me unload the trunk.  Once the bags are lined up on the counter, he remains nearby to inspect the delicacies that might await his gastronomical pleasure as I dissimulate their contents into their proper storage locations.  Upon seeing the box of sugar-laden, chemical ridden, calorie burdened blobs of fat, my husband’s eyes narrow.  “Why would you buy that stuff to bring  home here?  You know that’s not healthy.  You shouldn’t eat that junk!”

Without comment, I open the package where lies those delectable pieces of paradise and the scent wafts from the opened container and perfumes the air with the seductive aroma of cocoa and vanilla and sugar and the sweet fragrance even draws the attention of my husband who stands up to peer into the box.  “What’s that one right there?” he says as he nudges it with the tip of his finger.

“It’s a Pecan Caramel Cluster.”

“What’s that one?” again nudging it with his finger tip.

“That’s a milk chocolate toffee crunch.”

Our eyes meet as he carefully lifts the delightful treat from its corrugated cup and pops it in his mouth in one large bite.  I smile.  He tries to return a scowl but the flavor washes over his palate and his eyes close as his senses experience the sensation.  No exchange takes place.

I breathe in the mouthwatering warm aroma of the various chocolates.  Just the scent is almost enough to satisfy me and as I come back to consciousness, I catch my husband pop a chocolate covered macadamia in his mouth.  Eventually he swallows and casts a judgmental eye towards me eat as I savor a dark chocolate caramel truffle.  I smile stickily as I cover the box for a future indulgence. 

I already feel a tickle at the back of my throat… 

But life without chocolates? 

I don’t even see that as a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment