Rudy

Rudy
My Homemade Mother's Day Gift

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coming Along

Well one more week of dieting is all I get in before Thanksgiving.  It almost sounds like I'm disappointed to stop but I was hoping to hit a certain mark on the scale before I left off... the likelihood of acheiving that goal is looking pretty dicey.  I suppose I could just blow off Thanksgiving and make a top your own salad bar for Thanksgiving but I'm thinking the family would turn into the indians and I'd be Colonel Custer... They're expecting a full blown turn out with all the fixin's... Turkey, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, gallons of gravy, Sweet Potato Casserole with Candied Pecans, Corn Pudding, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie and Pecan Pie with mounds of Whipped Cream and all of us in a diabetic coma after a fabulous feeding frenzy.  It's no wonder I got fat.

I'm not sure how I'll do on turkey day as far as sticking with the maintenance but if I need to, I guess I can do a steak day on Friday... or well, actually, I think we're going to have our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday since all my kids are going to their in-laws first and they come to my house already stuffed.  I suggested to my elder son last night that maybe they'd rather have dinner on Friday?  He seemed good with the idea.  That gives me Thursday to cook and set a nice table... etc.  So I'm not quite done yet.  I was really hoping to drop twenty pounds this time, which I probably have if you consider the weight I put on at the Feast... about 5 lbs.  But all the food there was phenomenal.  I even tried to do a steak day there but it was crazy busy and everything revolved around the meals. So I was hoping to be a little further along by now but we'll see how the week plays out.

 Here is me when I first started and me now.  There is a bit of change visible if I put them side by side.

That's pretty encouraging.  

I had sort of hit a wall for about a week where I'd lose 2 lbs and then the next day I had gained them back.  Once I even lost it again and then in the morning, I had put on about 5 lbs.  But I knew I wasn't cheating and that eventually, there would be a break but it really got into the way of my goal weight I'd set... I was really hoping to be down by a full 100 lbs before the weight loss contest started again next year.  Well, no matter.  I'm a long way from svelte.  I'd really like to be out of the morbid obesity range, though.

Tuesday Erin and I are supposed to go to the Monet exhibit at the St. Louis Art Museum.  I got free tickets through work for a corporate evening.  Erin was an art major and I thought she'd really enjoy going with me.  I just love his paintings.  It's quite amazing how his best works were done as his eyesight dimmed from cataracts, much like Beethoven's greatest works were written when he was stone deaf.  He was called an impressionist and his works were not popular in the beginning but I love the feathery texture of his scenes, the vibrant colors he puts in a sunset and the way he paints a flower.  I often ponder, how does an impressionist know what it's going to look like at a distance when he's right up by the canvas as he's painting it?  I'm not artistic at all but I do appreciate that others can create such beauty out of a several pots of color.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment